I remember eating many different kinds of murukku/chaklis in my childhood. This particular kind was mostly available in Tamil Nadu. Crunchy and delicious. I made this as part of a Christmas project in 2015 where I put together some traditional snacks for my colleagues and friends.
Rice Flour- 2 cups
Urad Flour – 1/4 cup
Jeera – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Black Sesame seeds(optional) – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Oil +Butter – 3 tbsp(melted and warm)
Warm water – to make a dough
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the oil- butter mixture and blend it into the flour.
- Add water little by little to make a stiff dough. Place it in the machine with the disc as shown in the picture.
- Pipe onto a parchment paper in a random style as shown below.
- Scoop it up with a spoon and deep fry both sides in medium low heat till golden brown in color.
- Note: If oil is too hot, it would brown too quickly but remain uncooked inside.