Jumbalaya, as the name suggests is a mixture of a variety of veggies, meats and shrimp. I love to make one pot meals due to its convenience in a busy schedule. Its whole and hearty.
Olive oil – 3 Tbsp.
Celery(chopped)- 4 sticks
Onion(diced) – 1
Red bell pepper(diced) – 1
Yellow bell pepper (diced) – 1
Green bell pepper(diced) -1
Jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped) – 1 or 2 acc to taste
Garlic (minced) – 4 cloves
Chicken breasts(boneless skinless) – 2 (cut into small pieces)
Andouille sausage, thinly sliced into rounds – 1 lb
Chicken stock – 3 cups
Crushed tomatoes – One 14 oz can
Uncooked white rice – 1 1/2 cups
Cajun Spice – 3 to 4 Tbsp.
Bay leaf – 1
Thyme, crushed – 1 tsp
Cayenne pepper – 1/4 tsp.
Raw shrimp, peeled and deveined – 1 lb
salt and pepper – to taste
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan
Saute celery, onion, bell peppers, jalapeno and garlic for around 5 minutes till the vegetables are soft.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, rice, Cajun spice, cayenne pepper pw, bay leaf and thyme and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well.
This is an all in one dish – a perfect one pot meal. It is wonderfully creamy with lovely flavours.
Olive oil – 1/4 cup
Butter – 4 tbsp
Carrots – 2 (grated)
Cauliflower – a small pc(cut into small florets)
Chicken thighs – 1.5 lbs (cut into small pieces)
Salt – 2 tsp
Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaves – 2
Dry white wine – 1 cup
Chicken broth(hot) – 5 cups
White rice (Jasmine or Basmati) – 2 cups
Garlic – 1 head
Italian Parsley – 1/3 cup(finely chopped)
Parmesan Cheese(grated) – 1/2 cup
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and butter, then add in onions and saute till soft.
- Add in cauliflower, carrots and salt. Saute until soft and golden.
- Add chicken, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes until chicken is golden in color.
- Increase the heat to high and add the white wine. Boil it and reduce the mixture till most of it has evaporated.
- Add the hot chicken broth and rice to it. Mix well.
- Take the whole garlic head and slice the ends off without separating them as shown in the picture.
- Immerse the sliced garlic head into the center of the rice.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Now cover and cook for 15- 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter, parsely and parmesan cheese. Stir it well. The rice should be creamy.
- Serve warm. Garnish with parsley.
Lemon Rice is an easy and popular recipe particularly in Tamil Nadu. Simple with few ingredients but an amazingly strong flavor.
Basmati rice (cooked) – 4 cups
Cardamom – 2
Mustard Seeds(black) – 2 tsp
Dried red chillies – 4
Chana Dal (split yellow peas) – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Unsalted peanuts – 1/2 – 1 cup
Lemon juice – 1/2 cup
Turmeric pw – 1 tsp
Oil – 4 tbsp
Salt – To taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the dried red chillies, curry leaves and saute.
- Add peanuts, split peas and saute for another minute.
- The peanuts should be golden brown in color.
- Now add the rice, salt and lemon juice to it and stir fry it well incorporated.