This is an all in one dish – a perfect one pot meal. It is wonderfully creamy with lovely flavours.
Olive oil – 1/4 cup
Butter – 4 tbsp
Carrots – 2 (grated)
Cauliflower – a small pc(cut into small florets)
Chicken thighs – 1.5 lbs (cut into small pieces)
Salt – 2 tsp
Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaves – 2
Dry white wine – 1 cup
Chicken broth(hot) – 5 cups
White rice (Jasmine or Basmati) – 2 cups
Garlic – 1 head
Italian Parsley – 1/3 cup(finely chopped)
Parmesan Cheese(grated) – 1/2 cup
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and butter, then add in onions and saute till soft.
- Add in cauliflower, carrots and salt. Saute until soft and golden.
- Add chicken, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes until chicken is golden in color.
- Increase the heat to high and add the white wine. Boil it and reduce the mixture till most of it has evaporated.
- Add the hot chicken broth and rice to it. Mix well.
- Take the whole garlic head and slice the ends off without separating them as shown in the picture.
- Immerse the sliced garlic head into the center of the rice.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Now cover and cook for 15- 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter, parsely and parmesan cheese. Stir it well. The rice should be creamy.
- Serve warm. Garnish with parsley.
Chicken Tikka Masala is a rich Indian chicken curry which is usually available in restaurants. U can now make it at home especially if you love to barbecue. Its lovely with Basmati rice. Make sure you try to control the portion sizes as its super rich. .
I adapted it from Sanjeev Kapoor’s Khazana.
For the Marinade
Chicken – 1 kg (Cut into medium sized pieces)
Yogurt – 3/4 cup
Red Chilly pw – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pw -1/4 tsp
Cumin pw – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Orange -Red Food Color – 1 pinch
Gram Flour / Besan – 3 tbsp
Mustard oil – 2tbsp
For the Tikka Masala Sauce
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin – 1tbsp
Bay Leaves – 1
Cardamons – 3
Cloves – 7
Cinnamon Sticks – 3
Onions(Large) – 2 (chopped)
Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1tbsp
Coriander Pw – 1.5 tbsp
Turmeric pw – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly Pw – 1/2 to 1 tbsp
Tomatoes – 3 (chopped)
Cashew Paste – 3 tbsp
Heavy Cream – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Onion pcs – 1(cubed)
Tomato -1 (Cubed but pulp removed)
Green Bell Pepper/ Capsicum – 1 (cubed)
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the besan on low heat in it till it brings on a nutty flavor.
- In a bowl whisk together the above besan paste and all the other ingredients for the marinade.
- Add chicken to it and marinate for at least 2 hours. Leaving it overnight would be the best.
- Barbecue the chicken and set aside. Cut into smaller pcs when cooled.
- In a pan, heat oil, add the bay leaf, cardamon, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add onions, ginger and garlic paste and saute till light brown in color.
- Add coriander pw, kashmiri chilly pw, turmeric pw and saute till the raw flavor has gone.
- Add tomatoes and saute till well blended.
- Add cashew paste to it and mix well.
- Add the chicken, cubed onion and tomato to it and mix again. I haven’t added Green bell peppers here as I didn’t have it at the time of cooking. Please make sure you add it. It would add to the flavor and color.
- Add the cream, enough water and a pinch of orange-red food color (optional) to make a smooth but thicken sauce. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Chicken Stew with Appam is one of my favorite foods in Kerala. I have lovely memories of dining out with my family at Coffee Beans in Cochin just to have appam and chicken stew. This chicken stew is very similar to that.
I will be giving the recipe for Appam very soon as it goes very well with Appam. It really tastes good with white bread as well.
For the marinade
Chicken – 1/2 kg
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
lemon juice – 1 tsp
Coconut Milk – 1.5 cups (1/2 cup thick coconut milk mixed with 1 cup of water)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 3 to 4
Cloves – 6 to 8
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch pc
Onion – 2 (medium, sliced)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (sliced)
Garlic – 1 tbsp (sliced)
Green chillies – 3 to 4
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
Whole black pepper – 1 tsp
Thick coconut milk- 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
- Marinate the chicken with the ginger paste, garlic paste, salt and lemon juice. Set aside for at least 20 minutes. (The lemon juice is absolutely necessary in this dish, please do not skip it).
- Cook the marinated chicken with the coconut milk in a pressure cooker until 1 whistle. You can also optionally cook the chicken in a pan. Cover and cook for around 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add onions, green chillies, curry leaves, whole black pepper and salt. Saute for a minute. The onions should not change color.
- Add the cornstarch and the cooked chicken along with its liquid into it. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the thick coconut milk into it. Let it simmer for couple minutes.
- Serve hot with appam or breads.
These tasty treats are sure to impress your guests at the first bite. Its perfect for a party, get together or an after school snack for kids. They are two bite sized which makes it perfect for an appetizer or a quick snack.
Do not get alarmed by the number of steps. I am just trying to be as thorough as I can.
Phyllo pastry sheets – 6 sheets
Melted butter – 1/4 cup
Ground chicken or boneless chicken – 1/2 kg
Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
Onion – 2 (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 inch pc (finely chopped)
Garlic – 5 cloves (finely chopped)
Tomato – 2 (finely chopped)
Carrot – 1(diced)
Celery – 4 sticks (diced)
Baby bok choy – 1 (finely chopped)
Green bell pepper – 1 (diced)
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chilly Pw – 1 tsp
Turmeric pw – 1/2 tsp
Coriander pw – 1 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala – 2 tsp
Cumin Pw – 1 tsp
Eggs – 3 (optional)
Cilantro/ Coriander leaves – to garnish
Lime – 1/2
Note: You can add vegetables of your choice instead of bok choy and celery.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry cumin seeds.
- Saute onion, ginger and garlic till golden in color.
- Add carrot and celery for 5 minutes till soft.
- Add tomato and all the spices and mix for couple minutes.
- Now add the rest of the vegetables and saute well for two minutes. Transfer the contents into a bowl.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and add the ground chicken to it. (if you have boneless chicken, grind it coarsely in a mixer). Scramble the chicken well in oil.
- Once the chicken has changed color from pink to white, add the vegetable mixture to it.
- Cook on medium high heat till all the moisture has been absorbed well. Add cilantro and juice of half a lime. Mix well and set aside.
- Add the eggs to it and scramble well till dry. (This is optional).The filling is ready.
Make the phyllo cups
- Prepare a mini muffin pan by lightly greasing it and preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on your work surface. Using a pastry brush, spread some melted butter onto it.
- Place the second sheet on top. Repeat the same for 3 sheets.
- Cut the sheets into 4 strips lengthwise and 6 strips breadth-wise making 24 squares.
- Place each square into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes or till golden in color.
- Cool the phyllo cups and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- When you are ready to serve, just heat the filling and scoop up a bit into the prepared phyllo cups.
Alternate Pie Method
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a round pan and line it with the 6 phyllo sheets.
- Cover with the hanging edges of the sheets.
- Brush the top with some melted butter.
- Bake it in the oven till golden in color.
- Cut and Serve immediately.
Note: Do not attempt this method, if planning to serve at a later time as the crust will get soggy very fast since the filling is very moist.
This chicken 65 is a yummy and super easy to prepare. It is great as an appetizer or a side dish. Once you start nibbling on it, its hard to stop yourself. Try it out and enjoy!
Feel free to post any questions you may have in the comment section and I’ll be happy to reply.
Chicken – ½ kg
Ginger – 1 inch long piece
Garlic – 5 flakes
Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch stick
White poppy seeds – 2 tsp
Red Chilly Pw – ¾ tsp to 1 tsp
Turmeric pw – ¼ tsp
Coriander Pw – 1.5 tsp
- Grind all the ingredients (except the chicken) to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the ground masala paste and fry on medium – low heat for around five minutes.
- The paste should turn darker in color.
- Now add the cut up chicken to it, ½ tsp salt and fry for couple minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water to the chicken. Mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 15 -20 minutes till the water start drying up.
- Take the lid off and continue frying till the chicken is browned. Enjoy