These sugar cookies are easy to make and highly pliable. They can be rolled over and over again and it won’t lose its texture. The recipe is from Gretchen at gretchensbakery.com. She is very kind to share her professional recipes with us. After trying numerous recipes for cookies, I have come to the conclusion that this is the best recipe for sugar cookies especially if you plan on decorating them.
All Purpose Flour – 6 cups
Baking pw = 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Unsalted Butter – 2 cups
Sugar – 2 cups
Eggs – 2 (large)
Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and then eggs, one by one and beat well.Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking pw and salt. Add this to the above creamed mixture and mix until just combined.
- Wrap this dough in a plastic wrap and chill it for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- The dough can be stored safely in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for 2 months.
- Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes.
- Transfer the cut outs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown in color