I love creamy soups. The cauliflower gives it a distinct flavour and the white cheddar elevates it to the next level. Do give it a try.
Cauliflower – 1 (cut into small pieces)
Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt and Pepper
Butter – 3 tbsp
Garlic – 1 clove(chopped)
All-purpose Flour – 3 1/2 tbsp
Half and half Cream – 1.5 cups
Milk – 2 cups
Chicken Broth – 1.5 cups
Parsley(Dried)- 1 tbsp
Thyme- 1 tsp(dried) or 1 tbsp(fresh)
Bay Leaf -1
Sugar – 1 tsp
White Cheddar Cheese (shredded) – 1 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup
- Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes till golden in color. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion for about 4-5 minutes till tender.
- Add in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Now slowly pour in milk, half and half cream and the chicken broth while continuously whisking the mixture. Add parsley, thyme, bay leaf, sugar, the roasted cauliflower, salt and pepper according to taste.
- Bring it to a boil while stirring the mixture, then reduce the heat to low.
- Puree 3 cups of the mixture in a blender and add back into the soup. This will give the soup its thickness.
- Remove it from heat and add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy with a slice of bread or dinner roll.
Olive Garden is my favorite Italian Restaurant. There is just one restaurant here and the wait times to get in there can be 1-2 hours. Nevertheless, I wanted to make some of the recipes at home. Inspired by Olive Garden, and adapted from food.com, here is a delicious Cream of Chicken and Gnocci soup. I shared it with my beloved coworkers last week and they loved it. Please try and enjoy.
Butter – 3 tbsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1 (chopped)
Carrots – 1 (chopped)
Celery – 2 sticks (chopped)
Garlic cloves – 3 (chopped)
All purpose flour – 1/3 cup
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper(ground) – to taste
Chicken broth – 4 cups
Heavy cream – 1/4 cup
Whole milk – 3/4 cup
Potato Gnocchi – 250 gms – 500 gms
Cooked Chicken – 250 gms (cut into small bites)
Spinach – 1/2 bunch (chopped)
Fresh Basil – 1 tbsp (chopped)
Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese – to garnish
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute them for couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and continue sauteing for 5 minutes.
- Now add the flour into the mixture and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the above mixture one cup at a time stirring it well. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the heavy cream and milk to the mixture and stir it well.
- Also add the cooked chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let it cook for five minutes.
- Add cooked Gnocchi and spinach to the soup.
- Bring to a boil and cook for another 5 minutes. Add basil to it.
- Serve hot. Garnish with the parmesan cheese.