I love how the hot dog buns in the Chinese bakery are so soft and fluffy. I decided to make it at home and tried out a few different shapes. If you are like me and want to make something different, then give this a try. Its perfect for a quick snack. Children would love it because of the different shapes especially the puppy shape. You could add some toppings like cheese, chopped green onions, sliced onions, sliced bell pepper to it just before baking. If you have any questions, please post it in the comment section and I shall make sure I reply. Do try and enjoy
Hot dogs – 8 (uncooked)
All purpose flour – 370 gms
Warm milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Quick Rise Yeast – 2 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Sea Salt – 1 tsp
Melted Butter – 3 tbsp
- Mix the warm mix and sugar in a small bowl and then add the yeast to it. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- It will become frothy if the temperature of the milk is right. Make sure that the milk is not hot as it will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix it well.
- Add the melted butter and beat it for couple of minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix it to form a dough. Knead the dough for ten minutes till smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Let it rise for an hour till it has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal and smooth pieces. I weighed mine to make sure they are equal in size.
- Follow the pictorial instructions to make the different shapes with the dough.
3. For the next one, roll the dough into a circle. Make two small slits on the sides and spread it out. These are the doggy ears. Now slice the mouth part in half using scissors. It was tricky to do that but possible. Now place half a hot dog in the mouth part and then seal it up. Then use black kidney bean or coffee bean for the eyes and nose.
- Place all the prepared hot dog buns onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let it rest for 40 to 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Beat one egg in a small bowl and use a brush to egg wash the rested dough. Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes or till golden brown in color.