Chicken Stew with Appam is one of my favorite foods in Kerala. I have lovely memories of dining out with my family at Coffee Beans in Cochin just to have appam and chicken stew. This chicken stew is very similar to that.
I will be giving the recipe for Appam very soon as it goes very well with Appam. It really tastes good with white bread as well.
For the marinade
Chicken – 1/2 kg
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
lemon juice – 1 tsp
Coconut Milk – 1.5 cups (1/2 cup thick coconut milk mixed with 1 cup of water)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 3 to 4
Cloves – 6 to 8
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch pc
Onion – 2 (medium, sliced)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (sliced)
Garlic – 1 tbsp (sliced)
Green chillies – 3 to 4
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
Whole black pepper – 1 tsp
Thick coconut milk- 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
- Marinate the chicken with the ginger paste, garlic paste, salt and lemon juice. Set aside for at least 20 minutes. (The lemon juice is absolutely necessary in this dish, please do not skip it).
- Cook the marinated chicken with the coconut milk in a pressure cooker until 1 whistle. You can also optionally cook the chicken in a pan. Cover and cook for around 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add onions, green chillies, curry leaves, whole black pepper and salt. Saute for a minute. The onions should not change color.
- Add the cornstarch and the cooked chicken along with its liquid into it. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the thick coconut milk into it. Let it simmer for couple minutes.
- Serve hot with appam or breads.