This recipe was from Rick Stein’s India Cookbook with my own variations to it.
Prawns – 250 grams
Shallots – 4
Grated Coconut – 1 cup
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 heaped tbsp.
Green chillies – 3 (cut into long strips)
Turmeric Pw – ½ tsp
Vegetable Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Grind the mustard coarsely with 2 – 3 tbsp of water.
- Using 2 tbsp of water, coarsely grind the grated coconut.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add the shallots and saute till golden brown in color. (about 3 – 5 minutes)
- Now add the mustard, turmeric, grated coconut, coconut milk and salt. Mix well. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the prawns and green chillies. Mix well. Cover and cook till prawns are cooked.
- Take the lid off and stir fry till there the mixture is dry. Garnish with cilantro leaves.