It was my favorite after school snack. It can appear to be a bit tricky to prepare but if you follow the steps correctly, you can get the hang of it and prepare these delicious achappams.
Rice Four – 2 1/2 cups
All Purpose Flour – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/2 to 3/4 cups
Black sesame seeds -2 tbsp
Coconut Milk – 1 can diluted to make 3-4 cups
- Mix the rice flour, all purpose flour, sugar and sesame seeds and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut milk little by little and whisk into a smooth pancake like batter.
- Heat oil in a large pan (add enough oil for deep frying).
- Temperature Test: Check the temperature of the oil by drooping a drop of the batter in the oil. It should sizzle and come to the surface but not brown immediately. If it does not sizzle and come to the surface , the oil is not hot enough. If it browns too quickly, the oil is too hot.
- Dip the cookie mould in the oil and let it rest for 2 minutes. This step is needed for the batter to stick to the mould.
- Dip the cookie mould in the batter up to its 3/4th height. (Sorry not shown in the picture) Then dip back into the oil. Let it fry for 3-4 seconds and then shake the mould till the cookie leaves the mould. (Be extremely careful of this step and do not immerse it completely as the cookie will not leave the mould).
- Repeat the process for each cookie. Remember that for subsequent dipping, you only have to immerse the cookie for 10-20 seconds.
- Fry the cookie till golden brown. Drain in paper towels.
- Enjoy and share.