I love how the hot dog buns in the Chinese bakery are so soft and fluffy. I decided to make it at home and tried out a few different shapes. If you are like me and want to make something different, then give this a try. Its perfect for a quick snack. Children would love it because of the different shapes especially the puppy shape. You could add some toppings like cheese, chopped green onions, sliced onions, sliced bell pepper to it just before baking. If you have any questions, please post it in the comment section and I shall make sure I reply. Do try and enjoy
Hot dogs – 8 (uncooked)
All purpose flour – 370 gms
Warm milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Quick Rise Yeast – 2 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Sea Salt – 1 tsp
Melted Butter – 3 tbsp
- Mix the warm mix and sugar in a small bowl and then add the yeast to it. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- It will become frothy if the temperature of the milk is right. Make sure that the milk is not hot as it will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix it well.
- Add the melted butter and beat it for couple of minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix it to form a dough. Knead the dough for ten minutes till smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Let it rise for an hour till it has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal and smooth pieces. I weighed mine to make sure they are equal in size.
- Follow the pictorial instructions to make the different shapes with the dough.
1. Roll out the dough in a rectangle. Place the hot dog inside and cover it up with the dough.
2. From the top, make cuts on it up to 3/4 the way as shown in the picture. Now place each slice on either side till all the way through.
3. For the next one, roll the dough into a circle. Make two small slits on the sides and spread it out. These are the doggy ears. Now slice the mouth part in half using scissors. It was tricky to do that but possible. Now place half a hot dog in the mouth part and then seal it up. Then use black kidney bean or coffee bean for the eyes and nose.
4. Roll up the dough into a rectangle and place the hot dog in the center. Now makes small slits on each side. Now braid the dough over the hot dog as seen in the picture.
5. Roll out the dough using your hands like a rope/ string. Wind the hotdog using this rolled out rope for the next design.
6. Roll out the dough into a circle. Make slits in the dough as shown in the picture. Slice the hot dogs into 6 pieces and insert the pieces into the six petals of the dough.
- Place all the prepared hot dog buns onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let it rest for 40 to 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Beat one egg in a small bowl and use a brush to egg wash the rested dough. Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes or till golden brown in color.
Chicken Tikka Masala is a rich Indian chicken curry which is usually available in restaurants. U can now make it at home especially if you love to barbecue. Its lovely with Basmati rice. Make sure you try to control the portion sizes as its super rich. .
I adapted it from Sanjeev Kapoor’s Khazana.
For the Marinade
Chicken – 1 kg (Cut into medium sized pieces)
Yogurt – 3/4 cup
Red Chilly pw – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pw -1/4 tsp
Cumin pw – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Orange -Red Food Color – 1 pinch
Gram Flour / Besan – 3 tbsp
Mustard oil – 2tbsp
For the Tikka Masala Sauce
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin – 1tbsp
Bay Leaves – 1
Cardamons – 3
Cloves – 7
Cinnamon Sticks – 3
Onions(Large) – 2 (chopped)
Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1tbsp
Coriander Pw – 1.5 tbsp
Turmeric pw – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly Pw – 1/2 to 1 tbsp
Tomatoes – 3 (chopped)
Cashew Paste – 3 tbsp
Heavy Cream – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Onion pcs – 1(cubed)
Tomato -1 (Cubed but pulp removed)
Green Bell Pepper/ Capsicum – 1 (cubed)
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the besan on low heat in it till it brings on a nutty flavor.
- In a bowl whisk together the above besan paste and all the other ingredients for the marinade.
- Add chicken to it and marinate for at least 2 hours. Leaving it overnight would be the best.
- Barbecue the chicken and set aside. Cut into smaller pcs when cooled.
- In a pan, heat oil, add the bay leaf, cardamon, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add onions, ginger and garlic paste and saute till light brown in color.
- Add coriander pw, kashmiri chilly pw, turmeric pw and saute till the raw flavor has gone.
- Add tomatoes and saute till well blended.
- Add cashew paste to it and mix well.
- Add the chicken, cubed onion and tomato to it and mix again. I haven’t added Green bell peppers here as I didn’t have it at the time of cooking. Please make sure you add it. It would add to the flavor and color.
- Add the cream, enough water and a pinch of orange-red food color (optional) to make a smooth but thicken sauce. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.