This chicken pulao is quite different from the usual ones in restaurants. Its an Andhra speciality and it has a very distinct flavor. Its easy to cook as its made in a rice cooker even though the sauteing process cannot be omitted. Try and enjoy. Feel free to leave questions and comments. I shall respond asap.
Chicken – ½ kg
Basmati rice – 1 ½ cups
Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 5
Cinnamon – 1 inch pc
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 (sliced)
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 4 (slit)
Turmeric pw – ½ tsp
Coriander pw – 1 tsp
Roasted Cashews – few
Cilantro – 2 sprigs(chopped)
Marinade for the chicken
Yogurt – ½ cup
Mint leaves – ½ cup
Curry leaves – few
Cayenne pepper pw – ½ tsp
Water – 3 cups
To dry roast and grind
White poppy seeds – 3 tsp
Cardamom – 4
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 2 inch pc
Fresh coconut chunks – ½ cup
1. Marinate the chicken with yogurt, cayenne pepper pw, salt , curry leaves and half of the mint leaves.
2. In a pan, dry roast the poppy seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves for 2 minutes and grind it.
Add the coconut chunks to it along with little water to make it into a fine paste. keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add cardamom, cinnamom, cloves and cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds.
4. Then add onions into it. Also add a bit of salt to speed up the process.
5. Add ginger and garlic paste, turmeric pw, coriander pw, green chillies and saute it till the raw flavor is gone (around a minute).
7. Add the ground mixture and saute it well for 2 minutes till the oil oozes out from the sides.
8. Add the marinated chicken to it and mix well. Let it cook for two minutes.
9. Add the washed rice into it and mix well.
10. Add water to it and mix well. Check the salt by tasting the water and transfer the contents to a rice cooker.
11. Add cilantro, mint leaves and let it cook till it auto turns off.
12. Garnish with roasted cashews. Serve with cucumber raita and pappads.