One of my favorite little activity for summer is to pick blackberries and then include it in baking.
Here is a recipe I recently tried. Its really tasty and easy to make. Try and enjoy.
Found it on pinterest.
For the filling
Blackberries – 4 to 5 cups
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 3/4 cups
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
For the crust
All Purpose Flour – 3 cups
Sugar – 3/4 cups
Eggs – 3
Butter(cold) – 3/4 cup(cubed into small pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter into the mixture really well.
- Stir in beaten eggs into the mixture with a fork.
- Press down half of this mixture into the baking pan so that it forms the bottom part of the crust. (Sorry, missed taking a picture)
- Mix the blackberries, cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Now add the blackberry mixture on top of the crust.
- Sprinkle the rest of the dough mixture on top of the blackberry mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or till lightly golden brown in color.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
This is one of the best cakes ever. Super rich but super good too. I served it to my friends and colleagues. They couldn’t stop with 1 piece and wanted me to post the recipe asap. So here it is my friends. . Try and Enjoy!
- Yellow Cake – 1 (baked in a 9 x 13 inch pan):
- Recipe Link for yellow cake – http://cookwithvinu.com/?p=1463
- Evaporated Milk- 1 can
- Condensed Milk – 1 can
- Whole Milk- 1 cup
- Free the edges of the cake from the pan and poke holes all through the cake evenly with a skewer.
- In a bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk.
- Pour the above mixture onto the cake.
- Let it sink in for a few hours.
- Serve with whipped cream and cinnamon as a topping if you like. I served it just plain.
Who doesn’t love moist and soft yellow cake.This cake is perfect for layering with icing, carving or just to devour as it is. Follow through the steps carefully to get a very moist cake.
- Eggs – 4 (large)
- Sugar – 1 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Cake Flour – 1 cup (For substitution: 1 cup all purpose flour – 2 tbsp all purpose flour + 2 tbsp cornstarch – sifted 3 times)
- Baking Pw -2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp (omit if using salted butter)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Dissolve the eggs and sugar over a double boiler till its warm(around 115 degrees F)
- Now whisk the above mixture at high speed for about 5 minutes till it triples in volume.
- In the meantime melt the butter and milk in a saucepan or microwave till its hot. Add vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients( all purpose flour, cake flour, baking pw and salt) together.
- Add the sifted ingredients to the eggs-sugar mixture and fold it in.
- Take out some of the batter and mix vigorously with the hot milk-butter mixture.
- Now fold it in with the rest of the mixture.
- Pour into prepared pans or cupcake liners.
- Bake till a toothpick inserted comes out clean (30-35 min).
As a kid, I never liked to eat my vegetables. Had I known this dish back then, I am sure I would have finished my veggies in no time.
Healthy, time friendly, kid friendly, this is a must try recipe.
Cauliflower – 1 (large, broken into florets)
Garlic – 6 Cloves
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Crushed red chillies – 1/2 to 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Olive Oil – 4 tbsp
Parmesan Cheese – 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Spread the cauliflower florets and garlic in a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
- Add salt, black pepper, crushed red chillies, lemon juice and olive oil. Give it a quick stir.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 -40 minutes till it is golden brown in color. Give it a stir half way through so that it browns evenly.
Born in Kerala, ‘the land of coconuts’, I love coconut but baath cake is not from Kerala. It is actually a Goan delicacy.
Try and enjoy!! Trust me, its yummy 🙂
Eggs – 3
Semolina/sooji/rava – 1 cup
Dessicated coconut(fresh if possible)- 2 cups
Sugar – 1 ½ cups
All purpose flour – 3 tbsp
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Butter (soft) – 3 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tbsp
Warm water – ½ cup
I had tripled the recipe for an event. Therefore the pictures shown below are of the tripled quantity.
- Beat the eggs till they turn fluffy and add the butter to it, beat again for few minutes.
- Grind the grated coconut with warm water to make a thick coarse paste.
- In another bowl, take the semolina, all purpose flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, sugar and mix well.
- Now add the ground coarse coconut paste and beaten eggs gradually to the dry ingredients. Mix everything well with a spatula.
- Cover it and keep the above mixture for 8 hours in room temperature (if the climate is chilled) or over night for best results.
- If the climate is hot, cover this cake batter and keep in fridge for 8 hours or overnight, remove an hour earlier to bring it at room temperature before baking.
- Finally add the vanilla essence and give a stir.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer the cake batter to a well greased round or square mold.
- Top it with dry fruits(optional). Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cut into little squares and serve.
Royal Icing is easy to make and very useful to decorate cookies.
Sorry, I forgot to take pictures this time. I shall definitely add it next time.
Icing Sugar – 2 cups
Meringue pw – 1.5 tbsp
Vanilla or Lemon Extract – 1/4 tsp
Warm Water – 1/4 cup
- Whisk the icing sugar and meringue pw together in a bowl.
- Add water as well as the extract and beat on high speed until glossy and stiff peaks have formed.
- Add more water or icing sugar if needed to get to the right consistency.
- I have used flood consistency which means that the icing falls of from the beater in the form of a ribbon.
- Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container to prevent hardening.
These sugar cookies are easy to make and highly pliable. They can be rolled over and over again and it won’t lose its texture. The recipe is from Gretchen at gretchensbakery.com. She is very kind to share her professional recipes with us. After trying numerous recipes for cookies, I have come to the conclusion that this is the best recipe for sugar cookies especially if you plan on decorating them.
All Purpose Flour – 6 cups
Baking pw = 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Unsalted Butter – 2 cups
Sugar – 2 cups
Eggs – 2 (large)
Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and then eggs, one by one and beat well.Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking pw and salt. Add this to the above creamed mixture and mix until just combined.
- Wrap this dough in a plastic wrap and chill it for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- The dough can be stored safely in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for 2 months.
- Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes.
- Transfer the cut outs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown in color
An easy breakfast to go that you can make ahead of time from Martha Stewart. I like the convenience of carrying it with me as I leave home in the morning. Also love the fact that its a make ahead though it definitely cannot offer the taste of fresh hot breakfast in the morning.
Bread Slices – 8
Eggs – 6
Bacon – 6
- Use a dough roller to roll out the bread very thin.
- Cut out the bread using a round cookie cutter.
- Slice the rounds in halves.
- In the meantime, cook the bacon in a pan. Make sure that it does not get overcooked and it is going to get further cooked in the oven.
- Place the bread slices into the muffin tins as shown in the picture.
- Also place a little pc in the middle to cover the bottom (The 2 extra slices are for that).
- Place the bacon in the middle with the edges hanging over.
- Add the egg in the middle.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Now bake it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
I love how the hot dog buns in the Chinese bakery are so soft and fluffy. I decided to make it at home and tried out a few different shapes. If you are like me and want to make something different, then give this a try. Its perfect for a quick snack. Children would love it because of the different shapes especially the puppy shape. You could add some toppings like cheese, chopped green onions, sliced onions, sliced bell pepper to it just before baking. If you have any questions, please post it in the comment section and I shall make sure I reply. Do try and enjoy
Hot dogs – 8 (uncooked)
All purpose flour – 370 gms
Warm milk – 1 cup
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Quick Rise Yeast – 2 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Sea Salt – 1 tsp
Melted Butter – 3 tbsp
- Mix the warm mix and sugar in a small bowl and then add the yeast to it. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- It will become frothy if the temperature of the milk is right. Make sure that the milk is not hot as it will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix it well.
- Add the melted butter and beat it for couple of minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture and mix it to form a dough. Knead the dough for ten minutes till smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Let it rise for an hour till it has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal and smooth pieces. I weighed mine to make sure they are equal in size.
- Follow the pictorial instructions to make the different shapes with the dough.
1. Roll out the dough in a rectangle. Place the hot dog inside and cover it up with the dough.
2. From the top, make cuts on it up to 3/4 the way as shown in the picture. Now place each slice on either side till all the way through.
3. For the next one, roll the dough into a circle. Make two small slits on the sides and spread it out. These are the doggy ears. Now slice the mouth part in half using scissors. It was tricky to do that but possible. Now place half a hot dog in the mouth part and then seal it up. Then use black kidney bean or coffee bean for the eyes and nose.
4. Roll up the dough into a rectangle and place the hot dog in the center. Now makes small slits on each side. Now braid the dough over the hot dog as seen in the picture.
5. Roll out the dough using your hands like a rope/ string. Wind the hotdog using this rolled out rope for the next design.
6. Roll out the dough into a circle. Make slits in the dough as shown in the picture. Slice the hot dogs into 6 pieces and insert the pieces into the six petals of the dough.
- Place all the prepared hot dog buns onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let it rest for 40 to 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Beat one egg in a small bowl and use a brush to egg wash the rested dough. Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes or till golden brown in color.